Large Blue & White Fish Bowl signed on side Vintage or contemporary?

Started by RobS, May 11, 2018, 06:35:22

Previous topic - Next topic

RobS

I acquired this large heavy porcelain Fish Bowl jardini?re with painted and carved  flowers. It's signed in the border on the side. I assume it's 20th c but need the expertise of a knowledgeable collector since I know similar pieces are still being produced.  It's 12 inches tall and 17 inches in diameter. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance 

peterp

Looks Japanese.  And the mark says "Made by Uetaki", a Japanese sounding name too.

Stan

Yes this is a Japanese Hibachi, at least that is what they are calling them here in the antique stores, there are many large pieces like this for sale in Oregon and Washington States.
Hibachies were used for cooking I believe.

Stan

Could you post a close up photo of the decoration  at the outside top of  the hibachi, thanks.

peterp

Thanks Stan. I did not realize it was a Hibachi. In the old times this was used for warming in winter, and for boiling tea water, anytime. See these tinyurl.com/ybhzagz9

Stan

Thanks Peter for the website, I thought that they might have use sand inside the hibachi but I wasn't sure, it makes sense, something that size could heat up a room quickly you would think, thanks again.

Stan

Thanks for the additional photo, looks to be all hand painted, and of the Meiji period.