Guanyin with child

Started by Pablo82, May 08, 2018, 00:31:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo82

Hi Peter and members,

Please your opinion on this Guanyin. How old could it be? Is it chinese or japanese?

Thank you in advance.

peterp

The glaze would be yingqing (qingbai) glaze, but with a bit too much celadon in the recesses. The bottom shows cloth threading, which is normally visible on early republic pieces. Not sure if the crackling is natural or artificially induced, but I would be careful.

Pablo82

Thank you Peter. I wonder if the the stronger saturation of celadon that appears in the photo isn't due to the presence of dirtiness that I didn't remove to avoid damages to glaze. I provide closer images of recesses. In the worst case could it be Republic or fake? Thank you again for your help.

peterp

Pablo, I admit that the figurine looks old, it probably is. But this crackling with this bottom is unusual, because this bottom would have to be early 20th century. I do not know if there are any figurines of this type which have such a bottom, in China, otherwise. So, I do not say it is a fake, but I have mostly only Dehua and late republic figurines to compare. This is qingbai porcelain which is attributed to Jingdezhen, normally.
Qingbai means here 'celadon+white'. This type of glaze is generally white, but in crevices where the glaze is thick the celadon is more prominent. In this case the celadon color is unusually strong. Nothing to do with the dirt or anything else, this is firing related.
I just want you to be careful with such items, because some fakes show excessive greenish or bluish celadon the recesses, like yours, but this one seems to be old.

Pablo82

Thank you Peter for your kind answer. Thank you for your time and the knowledge that you offer in this forum.

heavenguy

I see some black dots in parts of the glaze. Perhaps the bubble identification method can be of some use here. I read somewhere that  it was very common in Qingbai glaze.

Pablo82

Thank you for your contribution, Heavenguy. Yes, the glaze shows several small black dots, as you can  see in this last photo.

peterp

These are holes...they are firing faults not age signs.

Pablo82