Green glazed jar

Started by thanh trinh, Apr 14, 2018, 10:46:09

Previous topic - Next topic

thanh trinh

Hello Peterp and everyone!
This is my jar that I collected last year.
It is a Tang porcelain, isn't it?
Pls show me your opinion.
Thanks a lot
Regards
Thanh Trinh

peterp

Have you checked on Vietnamese and Thai ceramics? The glaze could mean it is southern China, but the base is quite unlikely for China. Vietnam apparently made many ceramics with a turquoise glaze.

Rajet

Peter, your response is very interesting.  I have a question for you in light of this response and it doesn't require a new thread.  I, too, have a green vase such as this that I think is much older (possibly Tang era).  However, it has a Chinese wax permission seal, so there's no way they would let it go through.  On the premise that it may be ancient, my first theory was that the seal was faked.  But it doesn't look fake to me.  That brings me to this question, "Would they allow a Korean ancient piece to exit the country?"  I've got very good reason to believe that it is Korean instead of Chinese.  Thank you.

Rajet

Thanh, I really like this one!

peterp

The wax seal has nothing to do with authenticity.

See https://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/buying-antique-porcelain.html

thanh trinh

Hi Peterp and others!
I spended some times to find all stuff that you recommended, but I can't find any Vietnamese or Thai ceramics that has that kind of base. However, I caught something wich is quit familia with from Christie's and Sotheby's
May you see and give me your ideas?
Thanks very much
Thanh Trinh

thanh trinh

Hello Peter
I've got this on Internet.
The base is 100% similar with mine.
Does it make sense?
Thanks
Thanh Trinh

peterp

It is recommended that you find comparative items in reputable sources like museum collections, etc..
Commercial sites are full of fakes and what is shown in your Etsy image is a clear fake. Han dynasty green glazes are completely different.
Apart from that, your item looks like glazed earthenware, not earthenware The turquoise color can be found on South China items, many of which also are earthenware, but it is seldom found on porcelain. But I have never seen such a foot. I do not know this foot shape of yours, but it does not look like that of a mainstream Chinese kiln.
And, I have doubts about the white ewer too. Unless there is one at a reliable source I will consider it fake or perhaps non-Chinese too. Part of the decoration does just not look like anything Chinese I know, and there were only one or two kilns in the distant past that made items with layer shaving, but their glaze was never that white.
Most ceramics with a similar glaze as yours were jars. You can try to find a similar ones with "turquoise glazed earthenware jars". It is recommended that you check all options.

thanh trinh

Thanks a lot Peter
I'll try to do so
See you soon
Thanh Trinh