small lidded jar

Started by Stan, Apr 07, 2018, 06:20:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

I have a pair of these, the other one has a lid, but this has a mark that is more readable than the other, I think this is republic  period probably on the later side, can anyone read the mark, that might give it a more accurate date, thanks.

Stan

Here are the last photo's, thanks.

peterp

We do not recognize this character. It seems not to be a regular traditional Chinese character.

Stan

Stan

Apparently this is Japanese from the 1980's the porcelain seemed to be older but this is a Japanese factory mark.

peterp

Looks older than that, Stan. Are you sure the mark was not in use in the 40s? The Japanese at that time made lots of polychrome items with Chinese motifs.

Stan

Hi Peter, I was thumbing through marks on Gotheburgs site, I wasn't looking for this mark but when I saw it I recognized it, he has two examples both look later than this one and the only comment is unknown factory mark, they are dating theirs at 1980 to 2000, I have not been able to find any other marks in my books but I agree with you the porcelain and decoration would fit that time period, I will post if I find anything definite, thanks  Peter.

peterp

Stan, the dating of the plate the G. site may be incorrect, or the same mark is still being used. But the attribution to Yamatoku kiln appears to be right. I just could find a little information, all from non-museum or non-educational sites.
What is confusing is the use of a zhuanti character as mark, because Japan does not usually use such, and this one might be a Japanese Kanji. It does not seem to exist in current Chinese, or it could also be an older character that is not in use anymore.
Yamatoku (????) is the manufacturer or kiln of those plates. According to another site the character on your item was also used occasionally as mark.
Now, Yamatoku is Yamatoku kiln (??). It was apparently established in the 1700s, the Edo period.
You see where this goes...dating. There is a lot of different ages attributed to Yamatoku items.
BTW, Yamatoku belongs to the Arita sphere, it is a still operating as Yamatoku company nowadays.
You will find a lot of the older items (earlier 20th century, I think) by doing an image search using "Arita Yamatoku", but most of them are plates. They seem to be producing completely different wares nowadays.

Stan

Thank you Peter, that gives me all the information to pin point a more accurate date especially with the Kiln name.