Stand jar with cover marked 'Daoguang'

Started by T. Chan, May 24, 2014, 15:20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Chan

Hi everyone, i have just bought it a year ago, a stand jar with cover marked 'Daoguang'. I like it because it is so colorful but I don't know if this from the same period or later? Is this an export ware? The 'dragon' on the sides are strangely drawn, no printed drawing and the paste a little yellowish brown. Is this made in Jingdezhen? The color is match and foot rim has been cleaned. Height 46cm.
Thanks.

T. Chan

Have to slit into two since too colorful takes up kilobytes.

calder

Hi  T. Chan.
What a wonderful detailed vase.
sorry I cant Help.

T. Chan

Hi Calder, yes it is detail and very very colorful but there are several errors on the Buddhist cross pattern like the one on the last picture. The one that makes me wonder is why the paste is not white like all Jingdezhen wares. Hope Peter or Stan can help with this.

T. Chan

So sorry, I just realize that I havent post the picture that has Daoguang mark.

peterp

The inside of the stem/foot rim look too smooth in the picture showing these. A closer shot could show if the clay is really that dense. If yes, the clay was probably factory prepared.

Stan

Hi everyone, Peter is right this is a modern item, I do not think that the mark is Daoguang, I don't know what it is, I was told by an expert that Chinese antique porcelain that is genuine and signed with an Imperial reign mark in the Zhuanshu script across the vase would be worth millions, they are that rare, so when you see one the chances of it being real is like playing the lottery. and I never win, but the shape is also modern.

T. Chan

I am not at home now. When i got home, maybe in a week time, i will take a macro pic of the base and post it.  But in the mean time, do you know why the paste is yellowish and not white? Have you come across a genuine Qing antique with such paste? This paste is realy very suspicious. But this jar is consider light compare to others.
Btw, Stan, about the across mark, I just know it today, from you, that it is very rare. I thought it was the same with base mark.
Now i can only post a crop pic of the base, but its not very clear. Thanks.

peterp

Yes, the paste is a bit too yellow. That is indeed a Daoguang mark, but I know of no instances where such horizontal marks were used in the Daoguang period. Not all periods had marks on the outside of an item.

T. Chan

Hi Peter, Here are several macro pics of the paste taken from inside and outside. Hope these will help. Thanks.

Stan

Hi T Chan, great pictures, Peter could you define yellow, because I am having a hard time seeing it, it looks a little reddish to me.

peterp

The paste on the newer pictures looks normal, except that a bit too many impurities are enclosed. But still, I don't think it is antique. The decoration looks like something from the 20th century. Very elaborate painting...

T. Chan

Dear Peter and Stan, I think the color of the paste should be a little more yellowish reddish brown? Here I post another pic which I think the color is match now.
I think the paste definately not from Jindezhen? Yes could be from 20th century because the green foo lion is too childish?

Stan

With photo's like these it is easy to evaluate, others should follow suit.