Unknown mark

Started by hoogenbosch67, Mar 23, 2018, 00:14:14

Previous topic - Next topic

hoogenbosch67

Can anyone tell me what the mark means. Thank you

Hmm

It says China Yixing.  If real it's a post 70s, factory pot, and fairly collectable, although not sure which era. 

hoogenbosch67

Thanks for your answer. Its a yixing teapot. attached some pictures. Greetings Jan

Stan

Hi Hoogenbosch, I do not know much about Yixing tea pots other than the dark brown clay is better, but I do know quality when I see it, and this is high quality, I would have bought it my self.

peterp

This bright color is rather an exception.
It looks new, but I would not use it, unless you have some assurance that it is not made from the toxic fake clay some manufacturers used years ago. I heard that supply of genuine cisha clay has resumed in the meantime.

Hmm

Not entirely sure, but I don't think factory pots were being made like this in the 60s-80s, or at least I've never seen them, but that perhaps is because this pot would be unusable for making tea.  Usually most yixing pots are utilitarian in design if they are to be used.  I don't think it's real.

@Stan, zini, or the brown ones aren't necessarily more highly sought after, they are just used to make a different type of tea from other clay colors.  Zhuni from the 60s or even earlier are the ones that are really sought, since supposedly there's no more of that type of clay in existence that can be mined anymore.  If a modern pot is made with pre 60s Zhuni clay, then perhaps the artist is using old clay stock and it would likely go for hundreds of dollars.  There's also modern Zhuni clay but that's supposed to be just modern hongni.  Often times people just intermix the terms hongni and zhuni these days. 

Stan

Thanks Peter, that is very good information, now if I can just remember it for later I might start collecting yixing ware, I have had opportunities to buy it, but I don't know much about it, I like this one because it looks like a real tree.