Wucai Jar

Started by ssbill, Feb 23, 2018, 00:34:48

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

I need help to identify this jar. How old is it?

peterp

This is an underglaze blue wucai decoration. The shape is late Ming, but I could not tell for sure if peonies were painted that way then. I have some doubts regarding this.
The bottom has spiral traces from throwing, which I know almost only from early Qing items. Not sure if a late Qing bottom could show these.

ssbill

Could this be ming/qing transitional? This is being offered to me by the same man who sold me a yuan censer so I know there is some fine authentic pieces in his collection.

I found this. I don't know if it is a reliable source though. The bottom looks to same but the peonies different

[link removed by admin - please read "Links to external sites" at the top of this board]

peterp

As before, you could take the risk, if it is not too expensive. Even if it turns out to be made at a later time it may be worth the learning experience.

peterp

ssbill

not yet. The jar is in austria so he would  have to ship it . He was asking a little over 3k which would be a fair price if the jar is from the transitional period but too much for not knowing with certainty if it's real. If i had to guess I would say it's genuine because I have bought a few less expensive items from him before and never had  a problem. So perphaps i'll take the risk.... or lowball and hope

Stan

I my self would not buy it unless, there is a guarantee that it is what they say it is, on E-bay they have that guarantee and all that you would be out is the original shipping fee, and not the whole $3000.