FISHING PLATES - LOOKING FOR ASSISTANCE WITH DATING

Started by Lalakiross, Mar 11, 2018, 02:25:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Lalakiross

Hello,

I have a pair of hand painted blue and white plates, which feature fishing scenes surrounded with carp borders. I was wondering if anyone could give an indication of where these may have been made, and from what era.

Stan

Hi Lalakiross, these photo's are to small to tell, a larger picture of the detail, peoples faces and any age signs, dimples, rust spots, and eat. also one of the foot rim at a 45 degree angle, these photo's should be clear and under natural light close to a window, thanks.

Stan

That is what I suspected " Japanese"  but with the small pictures and lack of stilt marks, it is questionable.

Lalakiross

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, I've attached some more pics (sadly no daylight left but hope they help)

Lalakiross

Hello,
I've done some more online investigation and think these may be Kangxi. I've seen Kangxi examples with similar fish and blue colour. Does that seem correct or is there still a feeling these are Japanese?

Thanks

Ross

konniela

The decoration alone can not tell you, how old a piece is. You can find these fishes on Kangxi pieces, but also later and on modern pieces.  You must have a look on form, foot rim, colours and age signs, all together.
On these photos, the plate looks white and glossy, I can see barely age signs. The colours looks more grey than blue.  But it may be due to the photos.

Stan

Im thinking Qing dynasty, mid Qing, the bottom is to clean to be Kangxi

Lalakiross

Thanks all. I was thinking that the flaking to the glaze on the rim perhaps indicated perhaps more age than a 20th century piece. It's hard to get good pics with the limitation on file size. So comfortable in concluding this is Chinese rather than Japanese?

konniela

The chinese Qing dynasty was finished in 1911, so late Qing would be not so bad.

peterp

The problem I have is with the plate shape, which does not look much like any Chinese plate shape.