Qianlong dragon jar

Started by ssbill, Mar 10, 2018, 13:12:31

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

I think the colors look strange but I'm not sure. I found a similar example  with wucai colors.(http://www.alaintruong.com/archives/2017/03/16/35056185.html). Is it a 20th century reproduction?

bokaba

Modern reproduction I think. The dragon looks cartoon-like and the mark is not written right for Qianlong period.

Bokaba

peterp

That is doucai not wucai. Doucai is quite outside the grasp of most collectors, it was already top level and expensive when it first was made in the Ming dynasty. Many of us never had and will never own a real doucai item because their number is limited.

I would like to offer a piece of advice. Do not go after items with marks, at least not until you can recognize different types for sure. The chance of finding genuine antiques if you look for items with marks is much lower. Fakes and new items have marks for two reasons, one is that many are copies of high profile items which are in museums or sold high at auctions, and there numbers are much exceeding the authentic ones. The second reason is that some people simply do not grasp or accept that marks are redundant in Chinese ceramics - the fakers produce huge quantities of porcelain specifically for these.