Large pair of lidded ginger jars.

Started by Stan, Dec 21, 2017, 01:41:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is a couple of large ginger jars, they are 32.4 cm high to the top of the lid, they have characteristics of late Qing, decorated on one side and left blank on the back side, the inside looks like other late Qing with lots of pitting on the inside, however the bottom has bubble burst which I do not seen on my other late Qing blue and whites, could this be older?

Stan

Stan

Here are the last photo's to view, thanks for all your help.

peterp

These are not ginger jars but I don't remember what they are called in English. In Chinese this is called a wax gourd shape. Not sure from these pictures, but at least one seems to be blue-white on celadon.
19th century.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I learn something everyday, so they are called a wax gourd shape, one of them is lighter than the other but both are celadon and your right, the darker celadon has subtle hints of white with the blue, thanks again.

peterp

Such large jars and vases of the late Qing dynasty usually come in one of three configurations:
underglaze blue on an all white background, underglaze blue decoration on white background with surrounding areas all being celadon glaze, and underglaze blue with all celadon (no white) glaze.