Please help What has happened to the glaze on this Famille rose vase

Started by Lumhechati, Dec 12, 2017, 18:50:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumhechati

Can someone help with this vase the glaze has deteriorated the main color is red,there are spots of blue i'll post pictures of it under a lope.i'm including pictures of the foot also help date maybe Thank you

Lumhechati

trying to post pictures heres the foot maybe more of the body

peterp

Try uploading two or three closeup shots of parts of the decoration, and be sure to include one of the decoration band along the base. High resolution partial pictures would be fine. If possible show any defects or age signs.

BTW, the lighting these pictures were taken under is not ideal for showing true colors. If possible, try to take pictures in natural daylight near a window, without a flash light.

peterp

While not ruling out another result with detail pictures, the last image you post appears to show crimson or other red hues turning to a kind of pink or brownish color. Are there tiny green spots in it?

But first?if you do not own this already I would not buy it. Even if it is antique, severe discolorations like this might reduce its collecting value.

peterp

What needs verification is if this is an accidental discoloration happening in the kiln, or if it is just careless painting or over-painting of the decoration.

Lumhechati

I'll take more pictures out side in sunlight is it possible it be could be shipwreck???

peterp

Please avoid direct sunlight, the colors might get a yellow tint.

For a shipwreck item to get discolored that way it would take perhaps 200 years or longer. If you can, try to see with a magnifier whether there are lots of tiny white dots all over. Is the vitreous glaze intact?

Lumhechati

Could you post a example of the white dots/specks??? The glaze being shiny the white part is still there if I have it correctly

peterp

What I want to know if there are dots in the surface of the glaze which enlarged look like the little holes the salt makes in ice. In other words, if the dots are damaging the vitreous glaze, which would make these dots appear white. You may see it only with a magnifier, but they not necessarily are there...just a possibility.

Lumhechati

I've taken pictures close up with a 10 power lope hopefully they'll post

Lumhechati

There is on the side a circle that looks like before the vase was put in the kiln resembles a coin impression under the glaze???

peterp

I'm afraid there is no use talking about that impression as we have no way knowing what caused it, or what it could have been intended for. One question, what is causing the darker areas in the pictures below, is that a shadow?

Looking at the vase decoration, overall there is something odd. There is a vase or jardiniere and flowers painted. These often are combined with other objects like scrolls, etc. But the ball decoration is a completely different decoration type that usually appears alone, only the balls. They do not fit into the other decoration. Why? We cannot know, but it might give a hint.
For example, one decoration is original, the other could have been added later, then fired again. Or we ignore thatand look only at the colors. The pink could be a diluted crimson or other reddish color. With mineral pigments the colors red, green and brown all are often created with either copper oxide or iron oxide based pigments. The resulting color is related to iron content, but also to kiln temperatures and reduction. What I suspect is that the firing temperature was either too high or low, or the reduction atmosphere did cause such an overall diluted looking decoration. The way the colors look this be a possible explanation for this.

Lumhechati

Here are some pictures of the vase as a whole.Thank you for all the responses.