small white blue bowl

Started by williamh, Dec 06, 2017, 11:40:49

Previous topic - Next topic

williamh

Hi
Is it a modern bowl? I couldn't find this mark online (pic. 1 to 3)

. Also I wanted to share with you something I recently found (pic. 4).  A guangxu bat plate. I have no question about this one, I just want to share with you what I found.  Thank you

Stan

The clouds and the bats do not look period decoration, they look more recent.

williamh

Hi stan
The picture 1 to 3 is one piece and the fourth picture  is another. It's two different item. I should have made two posts. Can you share your opinion about the first piece?

Stan

The bowl looks like it is from 1800 or so, I would like to see the inside, I have some bowls with the same mark but on mine the bottoms look older, the inside could give us a better idea.

williamh

The inside looks old. Is it a jiaqing mark? What does the mark mean?

Stan

This looks to good to be period in my view, that is from 1800, here is one with age signs, pitting and ware, when these were made they would have been used every day and passed down through the generations and would show signs of use.

williamh

Ok thanks, I see what you mean.
Do these marks have a name? I can't find anything online about them.
Were these bowls exported new to the europe in 1800? 

peterp

To Stan and William:
Both of your items have a Jiaqing mark. This typical decoration and mark started to be used during the Jiaqing reign (1796-1820), so that would be M&P in these cases. Sometimes this type of decoration is Daoguang or even later in the Qing dynasty.

A note regarding this type of mark. Basically these are reign marks, but a peculiarity of many Jiaqing marks from private kilns is that often only half of each character was painted or drawn, making the mark almost unreadable.