Famille verte plate ? how old could it be

Started by daniels, May 16, 2014, 02:01:49

Previous topic - Next topic

daniels

Hello Peter,
i have, i think a famille verte plate.
On the back are some flowers and it is marked with a green leaf.
Could you please tell met how old it is ?
Thank you in advance,
kind regards, Leidie

peterp

Need to see whole foot rim to verify age better.
Basically, this copies a Kangxi era decoration. But colors point to early 20th century. I would also like to draw your attention to the unusual way of painting the mouth (a cross), and the fact that the leaf mark is filled. It should be underglaze blue.
Either Guangxu or later.

shelley Kong

Peter,
What does the mouth being painted like a cross tell us?
Thanks,
Shelley

peterp

No idea, never saw that painted that way, that is why I find it strange.

daniels

Hello Peter,
i googled a ( very) lot, and i saw on ancientpoint.com a plate with warriors with the same mouth shaped as a cross, and the colour green was the same as my plate.
I saw it earlier, maybe it is a little goat beard with a little mustache :-)
That plate was marked with a red leaf.

peterp

I cannot for sure tell if this sort of mouth was actually used at one time on antiques...but comparing with unconfirmed sources might result in comparing one imitation or recent item to another, similarly non-authentic antique. Look for better sources with a good reputation in view to Chinese porcelain, like a museum, university, etc.
The site you mention shows  lot of items that are not antique.

Stan

Hi Daniel, maybe you should down load another picture of the bottom, like Peter said, one of the whole bottom and a closeup picture at an angle of the foot rim, this will authenticate or unathenticate you plate, put I think Peter already said it, the colors are not right, and the close up pictures of the bottom would confirm this or if it is an old bottom, it would need to be examined a little closer.

Stan

Hi Daniel, just so you know the picture you posted of the bottom shows only one side of the foot, the other side could hold the key to its true age, Stan.

daniels

Hello,
i send some picture of the bottom af the plate, i hope the pictures are oke !

peterp

The decoration on the underside means that it is 20th century, either late Guangxu reign or later.

daniels

Hello Peter, thank you, for your expertise , i allways appreciate it !