Celadon carved vase

Started by Stan, Oct 30, 2017, 21:42:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, the Portland Expo Antique show was last weekend and this is a find at the show, I think you will like this, the hight is 32.2 cm tall and I can see a slight seem where it was joined together on the sides, inside the vase is all the right dirt that has been there for a long time and I can see that it was hand made, there are finger indentation marks on the inside, I do not no the age but I believe Qing dynasty, there is rust spots and under a loop the bubbles are small to medium size with very small pitting, this was a lamp when I got it and the cord and brass is old perhaps from the 40's for the brass and cord, I was hoping for a mark when I took it apart but no such luck, but the quality is high end, I think the decoration is carved rather than pressed because of the sharp edges in some places, please let me know how old you think it is and do you have an idea where it was made, thanks.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here is the last photo, thanks for viewing.

peterp

Hi Stan, I would not dare giving this more than late Qing dynasty, by viewing pictures only. First, how is the density/consistency of the unglazed area of the foot rim, compared to other Qing dynasty items?

Normally, if items are formed in two part moulds, logic would tell us that the ornaments were formed at the same time. Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. I'm just wondering why the sides look as if only the seams were removed, while the front looks perfect. BTW, regarding moulding, I do not know when this really started in the various kilns and factories, but Dehua kiln began using moulds only in the 30s.

PS:I have put a description of manufacturing into the board "Additional Info", that may or may not apply to dating this.

Stan

Hi Perter, after examining this with a fine tooth comb, I believe this to be late Qing to early republic, I found a couple similar vases on past auctions at one of the high tier auctions with the seem running along the side like this one theirs was said to be late Qing, this was made in 7 pieces, the foot and bottom are one piece, inside you can see where the bottom was attached, their is a small bead of porcelain around the bottom where it joins the upper part, then the larger upper part was moulded in two pieces and possibly carved, then the upper part also moulded in 2 pieces and joined together and then set on to the larger part and then 2 handles were applied making it 7 in total, I showed this to a friend of mine that said he thought it was carved also and from the late Qing, his specialties are Celadon and Monochromes, but in all fairness he is discouraged by all the good fakes and has been burned in the past and offered his opinion with great caution.

Stan

Another possible of explanation of the beed around the inside foot, when it was put together and pressed the excess pressed out and the top was to small to put their hands in to smooth it out, just another possibility.

Lee Seng Kong

Hi Stan....Hi Peter,

I have been out touch.....now residing in Dubai UAE.

As an engineer, and at a glance.....the hole opening appears to be too perfectly formed to be cut after the vase was manufactured .

Edge of the hole...... smooth or jagged. ....should give some clue.....so I think.