Famille Rose Sweetmeat set

Started by GerryG, May 13, 2014, 02:48:41

Previous topic - Next topic

GerryG

Any ideas of age? Eight pieces surrounding central dish depicting daoist immortals, all in excellent condition other than slight loss to gilding on each dish rim. All bases unglazed with an Iron red four character mark contained in a double frame found on the central dish. Unfortunately the mark seems to be illegible. Tks Gerry.

T. Chan

Dear GerryG,
Since the stamp mark is stamped, I think the oldest could be mid 20th century. Lets hear others about this.
Thank you.

Stan

Hi T Chan, I believe that stamped marks were around in the late 19th century, but I think you are right about the age, the white ground is to white to be earlier, in my opinion.

peterp

The style of the faces makes these something of the 20th century. Probably no older than mid-20th century. Also, I do know nothing of antiques with red marks on an unglazed bottom. Do they exist? Until now, all items I have seen marked this way were more recent.

GerryG

I suspected they were more modern. Certainly I haven't seen any examples of the seal mark being stamped directly onto the biscuit. Another concern I had was the excessive use of black outline on each figures face, there is a lack of delicacy and fineness one would associate with older porcelain. They certainly have some age but I think early to mid 20th century would seem about right. Stan I note your comment about the whiteness and I would agreed, the glaze almost reminds me of tin glaze delft ware, thick, heavy and very white. Thanks for all your input.

Gerry