Help with identification, lotus bowl

Started by bfj, Oct 09, 2017, 02:44:11

Previous topic - Next topic

bfj

I inherited this lovely 7" diameter, 2 3/4" high Chinese lotus bowl.  The exterior of the bowl is glazed and incised with hand painted lotus leaves.  The 'bowl' of the bowl is unglazed.  The edge of the bottom of the bowl ends with a swirl inward toward the center of the bowl (see images).  I believe it has some age to it since it seems to pre-date marking requirements.  Thanks for your help and any information you can provide!

peterp

Looks as if it could be 18th or 19th century, but it is difficult to tell with these pictures. Maybe you could upload a picture showing only the bottom and foot rim, close up, at a 45 degree angle?

A foot rim turned inwards is a first for me. This must have been an accident.

bfj

Thank you for helping.  Here are 2 more closeups of the bottom.

Stan

I have never seen a foot like this before, it is not a firing fault, the foot was made this way, not very traditional, I think.

peterp

This tells us that the foot rim was made last, but for some reason was not finished properly. They must have seen this at the latest when the glaze was applied. But they did not rectify the problem and instead went ahead with painting and firing.
Perhaps they thought it could be used anyway...

Stan

A one of a Kind, if it was a coin it would be valuable.

Mat

I have seen the same construction of the footrim on a Japanese lotus blossom cup, in my opinion it is not a mistake, but the stem of the lotus flower coming out of the middle of the bottom.
www.antiquers.com/threads/really-weird-chinese-cup-does-anyone-have-an-idea-of-age-origin.20506/#post-277993