Unknown mark

Started by Zigs, Sep 29, 2017, 19:13:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Zigs

Can anyone please help me identify this porcelain mark?

Stan

It say's made at Jingdezhen, generally this would be a republic mark.

Zigs

Thank you for your response. Is there any way to date the mark?

cimage

As Stan said "Republic", chinese republic period... 1912-49.

Zigs

Thank you for your help and excuse my ignorance. I'm a total novice at this and know absolutely nothing. Is it worth getting an item from that period valued?

Adriano

Sorry to disagree: pieces with this mark are date c. 1970.
For reference you should look at  gothebor.com site.
(gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml#jingdezhenciyegongsichupin)

Best regards,
Adriano

Stan

Hi Adriano, for what its worth, China is still a republic, isn't it. I believe that anything that says "Made in" would be after 1920 and is still being used today.

Hmm

Taiwan is still a republic.  Or known as Republic of China.  Mainland China is known as the People's Republic of China, and is Communist rather than a republic.  Still I like to think of the Republican era as starting from 1912 (after the emperor officially abdicated to '49), rather than saying it has continued on, as a matter of international legal sovereignty. 

Since the piece was made in mainland China, post '49, it's probably improper to say it was part of the Republican era either way. 

Stan

Today I went in a Chinese porcelain shop that sells new porcelain  and they had some items with this very same mark, the pieces could not be more than a coupe of years old, so apparently they are still using this mark.

bokaba

Hi Stan, from what I understand, marks specifically referencing Jingdezhen appeared in the 1950s. This mark looks printed, so it is probably brand new. We could tell more if the whole piece were posted.

Stan

Yes, you are right Bokaba, the piece I saw in the store, the mark and decoration was printed and under a loop you can see the dots in the decoration, probably printed with a dot printer and then transferred onto the porcelain.

Zigs

Thanks for all your comments and feedback. I've attached a pic of the piece. Sorry, not great light or quality. The second is a close up of the pattern and the third is the underside of the piece. My understanding is that it's a double gourd vase?