Identify the age!

Started by hatta, Aug 26, 2017, 21:00:30

Previous topic - Next topic

hatta

Could you please help identifying the age of this?

Thanks

hatta

Stan

Hi Hatta, This is a Fake in my opinion, the bottom looks like it was thrown on a modern potters wheel and the age signs are made to look old.

hatta

Hi Stan, Thank you very much for the reply and your opinion, I dont think it fake as brown color is not dirert or something I could clean, I tried cleaning it just to see but didnt work, it is quite heavy for a fake one .. I will upload more pictures and see others opinions as well..

Thanks alot

Stan

The dirt is one thing, but a metal potters wheel is another, which would make it 20 century, also at the top edge, where it is missing glaze, this is not natural, if you would take a closer photo' of that area to confirm age faking.

hatta

Hi Stan, Thank you so much for your support and the help that you provide for others , and Sorry for the late reply..

I have been very busy trying to solve a puzzle! I knew this chinese jar was very old and authentic but threre was something fishy about it when you told me that it was fake, so I got the jar and I started looking into it, and I have noticed that this jar was painted !! With a visable paint that you can remove, so I started removing the paint and I was shocked, Its a beatiful old jar with loads of spot rusts and a chinese symbol that was bured under neath the horrible paint, It was pianted all over because it was broken to pieces and they have tried to repair it.. now I dont know how old it is but it is absouletly bueatiful... I will post some pictures of I found under neath the fake jar!!

hatta

hatta

Stan

Thanks for the additional photo's, these are much better, and yes this is not a fake but it is not old 20th century, you will not find a bottom like this on traditional Chinese antique porcelain.

hatta

Thank you very much, and how long or when do rust sports start to develop on porcelain?

Thanks

Stan

Generally about 100 years but the spots on this is not natural, it looks like something was put into the glaze to give the appearance of age if you notice it is not like that all over, real rust spots are usually consistent throughout the piece, as you can see here it is not.

hatta

Do you mean like the rust spot in this bowl?

hatta

Stan

Yes this looks more natural.

peterp

In my view this lidded jar poses several questions that would require a hands-on inspection to clarify. What makes me doubt it most is the unglazed bottom. This is a so-called jade-bi shaped bottom. Usually that type of bottom would have a glazed interior area.