Need help for identification B&W plate

Started by arnebraat, Aug 24, 2017, 16:04:25

Previous topic - Next topic

arnebraat

Thank you for advising me! Now I have taken som new pics of the bottom rim and the painting.

peterp

Well yes, looks more like Japanese porcelain to me, especially the blue ring just inside the foot rim; and it appears to be printed. Let's see what others think about age.

arnebraat

Thank you! Very interesting. The platter itself appears to be of some age.

peterp

Printing on porcelain was done at least since the 19th century, much earlier than in China.

Stan

The four blue rings was prevalent on japanese Arita ware and transfer ware was as early as 1850, the only thing that is missing is the stilt marks which would have been used for firing at that time, they also used sand to set porcelain on in the kiln, it dose not appear to have sand on the foot rim, it is possible that  the stilt marks are not showing up in these photo's, my guess is that it is early transfer ware late Edo period.

Stan

Sorry for not looking closer at the foot, this is a early 20th century foot, the pitting in the glaze through me off as a matter of fact none of my Japanese porcelain including old and vintage has this much pitting and with out the stilt marks makes me wonder if it is real.

Stan

Here is a typical early 20th century plate of the same size, with transferred decoration, note not much pitting and plates like this were made for use, not as art and so you should see a lot of ware, scratches and ect.

arnebraat

Thank you both for taking the time to share your opinion! This is very interesting and exciting to me. As a novice in this field I can try to provide good pics and all information I have about the item. My wife and I don't remember if the seller said anything about the origin, but my wife seems to remember him saying this plate is from mid 1920's.
About the decoration: The three motifs at the back seem to be the same, but they are not identical. If they were transferred and not painted, would they have been just the same?
About the use: The front surface is full of scratches but not visible on a pic, and both the rim and the bottom rim has a chip as shown on the pics, and finally the plate has a crack.
Regarding the stilt marks: I don't know where they should be found, but close to the backside motifs there are marks that could form a triangle.
I doubt anyone would put so much effort in making such a good copy of a 1920's plate.
This plate is very heavy, 1,3 kg, and more like earthenware than porclain when I look at the colour where the chip is missing from the bottom rim.
I hope the new pics will be of some help.
Best regards
Arne

Stan

Thanks for the additional photo's, yes indeed your plate appears to be old and looks like there could be stilt marks not all are clearly visible, I think the date would be closer to late Meiji.

arnebraat

Thank you very much, Stan!
Best regards
Arne