Flambe vase

Started by Stan, Aug 18, 2017, 04:52:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is a Flambe vase, it looks old to me at least 19th century, I thought it interesting, the repair at the top was done with piece of bronze, have you ever seen a repair like this, it looks like it was done long ago, the hight is 35 cm and the width is 26.7, thanks for viewing

Stan

Here are 3 more photo's to view, thanks again for all your help.

peterp

Probably late Qing dynasty. The foot rim seems to indicate that. Late Qing items often had the glaze running down to the very bottom and needed to be removed by force from the foot rim.

peterp

This is an unfinished repair. Anyway, the rough insert would now be sanded or rubbed down to be exactly level with the surrounding areas. If the wedge was fired its size could have been miscalculated.

Stan

Hi Peter, the wedge is bronze metal, which was folded along the rim hiding the damage on the inside and out side area and some kind of a glue was applied that bonded it to the surface, I can't imagine sanding bronze metal, you would think they would have used some material that would be easier to sand, the bronze metal is on top of the glaze.

peterp

Ah, that is why its color is so odd. I thought the repair area is dirty. That is not a restorer's work for sure, it is too crude. Never heard of this being done with any of the metal repairs anywhere. If it were a teapot I would understand it, because it might allow continued use. But with a decorative item it would have been better not to use metal sheet. In China they did occasionally cut the neck below the damage, or some metal fitting was covering the whole, but this is a first for me. Thanks for letting me know, one learns something new all the time.  :-)

peterp

Just found this: tinyurl.com/y8u2gkob
If you look at the bottom picture, it has a metal plate repair. So it does indeed exist in classic repair types.

Stan