Anybody knows the age of this celadon vase?

Started by nonstopmuzik, Aug 10, 2017, 03:36:32

Previous topic - Next topic

nonstopmuzik

Have bought this vase from a girl who's father was a collector of Chinese ceramics. On the bottom there was a sticker that said it was from the 19th century. Could this be correct?

Kind regards

peterp

That is unlikely, in my view. With this type of base it could as well be from about the Yuan or Song dynasties. If it was from the Ming or Qing dynasties, then it would be an exception. Usually, when they copied more ancient porcelain then, they did not copy the base to such a degree, but just copied the appearance and used a Qing type foot rim. A hands-on inspection including a check on weight, soil sediments in the pores, and bubbles in the glaze might clarify this. If you can show it to some knowledgeable person in your area, that would be best
Can you upload a side view of the foot rim? The rim shape is of interest.

You could try to find celadon vases from the Yuan and Song dynasties online, with a similar decoration.

nonstopmuzik

Thanks Peter for your help. Really appreciate it! Here are the pictures you asked

peterp

Thanks. The foot rim shape is inconclusive as to the period. However, in your first pictures the color inside the foot rim was brownish, in the last ones it is clearly gray. Which is correct?  And, the pictures do not show the foot directly from the side (at a right angle). Is there another unglazed area between glaze edge and foot rim, which is recessed?

nonstopmuzik

I have tried to get the original colour on picture but it's hard. This one is the closest I could get (it's a little more brownish than on the picture). I've also made a picture where the glaze stops at the foot rim. The rest of the vase is all glazed.

Extra information:

Height: 17.5cm
weight: 0.43kg

peterp

Thanks. The clay seems to be normal, but I have never seen a foot rim with such wide a recessed space around the base circumference.
Now I must say that even with a hands-on inspection I could not determine what it is. I have to stand back and see if someone knows this better than me.
The only cases I know of, when porcelain had such a recess along the circumference of the base are all fakes. What happened in such cases is that fakers used an old bottom from excavated porcelain fragments, and attach it to a more recent body. They know that the experienced collectors will always look at the base/foot rim, because they are not covered in glaze. They often are most indicative about age.
It doesn't have to be that way in this case, but from the appearance alone it is difficult to tell whether the bottom was later attached, I'm afraid.

nonstopmuzik

Peter, I really appreciate your help here. I'm from Belgium and I'm going to take it to one of the biggest auction houses here in Belgium to ask what they think about it (not sell it, just ask it). We have a auction house here that is specialized in Asian antiques, so I'll ask him his opinion. Really thank you Peter for the help so far.