Early Chinese pottery vessel cup?

Started by kenm, Aug 06, 2017, 06:32:29

Previous topic - Next topic

kenm

Found this today while out looking for items. Unsigned has a few rust spots and some sand on the foot also inside the cup.

its almost a light blue green is it celadon?

the black residue on side of the cup is out sticker i need to clean the item. The photos are pretty bad becuase of the file size I'm able to attach there is also two stained hairline cracks on the rim and a crack on bottom

thanks !

peterp

Never saw such a base on antique Chinese porcelain, but the grit on the foot rim looks really odd. It seems almost impossible that so much grit sticks to a foot rim, just by firing it while it stands on kiln grit.

kenm

thanks petter

its a really confusing but interesting piece

i know with earlier times they would just set the objects in the sand maybe thats why there is so much grit ?

peterp

This looks as if it was pressed on. Basically, if you have an unglazed foot rim, as would be normal, then the grit could only adhere to the edge of the glaze. The latter acts as a glue. The rim itself is not glazed. If there is no glaze the grit does not adhere, much less in such a thick layer as here. Naturally adhering kiln grit looks different.

kenm

Hello petter

I went to the met earlier today and seen similar items that made me think this questionable cup is korean and from the joseon dynasty i found tons of examples afterwards on the internet lots of their pottery has the kilm grit foots i don't know why or how. I'm still learning chinese porcelain let alone korean.

but that solves that, thought id share. always appreciated your thoughts

peterp

Hope you are right.
I own some Korean items and books with museum pieces and I have never seen this. While there is sometimes grit, normally the rim does not look like this. Anyway, many pieces were not fired on grit but on firing supports, even in Korea, which would eliminate the possibility of grit, except perhaps for certain periods/kilns. Firing on grit or sand is an older technique that was later discontinued. With Chinese porcelain, for example, it is mainly seen in the late Ming dynasty, and was predominantly used by certain kilns only. I assume that would be the same with Korea. Best is to keep an open mind and keep going.

Stan

I have some Korean pieces as well, Im not sure but in these photo's it appears that your cup has a high shine is that right or just bad photos? Peter is right the foot is unnatural, it looks as if material was pressed into the foot on purpose, if it dose have a high shine it is a more recent made item.