Red & Black Vase

Started by kardinalisimo, May 11, 2014, 02:08:18

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

The glaze is crackled. I am thinking a Japanese piece with spurious Qianlong mark but just to double check. Any idea what is the calligraphy about?
Thanks

Stan

This is Chinese and not Japanese. and not very old, sorry but it has a modern bottom and the colors are much to bright to be old.

kardinalisimo

Thanks, Stan.
What do you call this style of decoration and when it was first introduced?
Can you give me any hints on modern vs old bottom?
I don't think it is very old either, if old at all. Whatever is supposed to be a red seal looks ridiculously childish.

Stan

Hi Kardinalisimo, the decoration looks like someone was trying to copy an early republic decoration, I do not think that the shape is traditional, and the bottom foot on the inside should be strait up and down not rounded.

kardinalisimo

Hi Stan.
The shape actually is more regular but the photo I took makes it look not quite right.
That is something new I learnt about the bases. I know Peter always talk about the foot rims of the Early Qing plates but I did not know there was a rule about the vessels bottoms.
Copy Early Republic you say. But is there a name for this combination of red and black paints? Like, Famille Something?

Stan

I don't think you can call this a famille rose, the colors are to bright, and as far as I know Qing period and early republic  the foot inside were strait. but for the decoration I have seen lots of early republic decorations that resemble yours.

peterp

This is in the shape of a Japanese Tokuri, a bottle in which Sake is served.
Crackles are artificial, the mark looks like a printing font, the written characters are usually in another style on regular Chinese antiques. All in all probably a new Chinese item, perhaps intended for Japan, but not sure. The quality of the painted decoration and writing seems inferior.

kardinalisimo

Peter, can you confirm the foot rim structure? Any general rules for the different periods?

Stan

I was thinking the same thing Peter, a new item made in China.

peterp

Don't try to find a right point to prove its age or authenticity. A single factor that is wrong can debunk all other factors - as incorrect. In this example each of the points mentioned is not correct-never mind the foot.

Stan

Hi Peter, just to keep me inline, are the foot rims strait up and down in the inside of the bottoms on Qing and early republic vases, I usually get it trouble when I make conclusion based on the items I own.

peterp

Stan, vases are different from plates, bowls or cups, any time during the Qing dynasty. Straight up rim means for plates, etc., not necessarily vases; and these rims developed after the 18th century. I don't think there is much compare with. Vase foot rims of the early Qing dynasty frequently appear also on late Qing vases.
Talking about republic is always a bit of a problem, because of the definition. Personally, to me the "early" republic and its traditional styles goes until about 1930.

If you have a vase with a foot rim that is clearly oblique on the inside, however, to me this is usually a sign that it is after the "early" republic, although there may be the occasional exception.  The limit is never clear-cut between the items of an earlier period and a later one. Changes happened gradually, some earlier some later. Exceptions are only those changes that did not come naturally, like those ordered by the court, in earlier times. A rim shaped like the one of the current item could cover a long time, so you cannot rely on this alone.

Stan

Thanks Peter for answering my questions.