Millefleur Plate

Started by bokaba, Jun 29, 2017, 04:36:01

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

I was wondering if this is a Republic period millefleur plate. It has a red Qianlong stamp on the back. I don't think the decoration is fine enough to be Republic or Guangxu. It is about 13 inches across.

Thank you

Bokaba

Stan

Hi Bokaba, I think your first instincts are correct, not Guangxu or republic, I do not think they would have put the mark off center in the earlier periods, especially a Qianlong mark, they would always be centered on the bottom.

bokaba

Thanks Stan. This is a saucer size millefleur pattern that I believe to be Guangxu or Republic.

Bokaba

Hmm

The first plate you posted looks very much like plates made in the 60s by Japan, but painted in HK. 

Here's some other examples of millefleur from the late Qing/Republic, although tea bowls instead. 

watersilkdragon.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/10-chinese-millefleur-teabowls-%E4%B8%AD%E5%9B%BD%E5%8D%81%E5%A4%A7%E7%B1%B3%E5%B0%94%E8%8A%99%E8%93%89%E8%8C%B6%E7%A2%97/

peterp

Any backside picture for the second plate?

To Hmm:
The four character Qianlong mark was used mostly after the Qing dynasty, in the Guangxu reign the Kangxi mark was more popular.  However, I still think that these cups with a background are at least from the twenties of thirties. Would be interested in any reliable information proving otherwise...
As far as I understand all millefiori decorations showing a background are either from the early republic or later.

bokaba

Hi Peter,

Here is the backside to the second plate.

Bokaba

peterp

The mark character writing is a bit uncommon for Guangxu. Perhaps republic?  Personally I feel this one looks much better.

bokaba

Republic was my sense too.