Vessel

Started by kardinalisimo, May 14, 2017, 22:01:15

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Any idea what is this and where it came from?
Thanks

Stan

Hi Kardinalisimo, I'm not sure what you have I've never seen a bottom like that on Japanese or Chinese.

Lee Seng Kong

Hi Kardinalisimo,

I have an item with the similar style handle shown in the attached photo. I am from East Malaysia and bought my item locally.

If you don't mind, where did you get your item from....then perhaps, I can try to triangulate where this type of item may be from.

For sure, the item I have is not made locally here.....some of my collector friends speculated that mine could possibility come from the Middle East....which is not unlikely, since Arab traders operate in the South East Asian region.

Mat

Lee Seng Kong, your ewer could well be Ottoman from Canakkale, Turkey.

Lee Seng Kong

Hi Mat,
Woooh.....likely from Turkey...so my friends may be right to guess it is from the middle-east.

I have posted this item on this Forum before, but there was no lead as to its origin except that it is not from the Tang Dyhasty

I bought this piece in the town of  Bintulu, Malaysia in the 1980s' whilst working on the LNG Project....thinking that it looks like from the Tang Dynasty......from the color,  very red clay, iridescence

Considering that  when one trace the lineage of the Malays who rule Malaysia....they were of  Arab descendancy  who arrived many centuries back......so whilst Chinese antiques are found here.....some Antiques with  Middle Eastern influence do exist here......antique plates and bowls etc with Islamic inscriptions  for example.

Mat, when you say Ottoman.....do you mean it is from the Ottoman Empire period at around 13th Century?
If so, the date would coincide with the time when the Muslim/Arab Traders begun trading in Malaysia around the 12th Century.

I will Google for more info. on Antiques from the Middle east.....I will see if I can find more info. from the Tokapi Museum.

Thanks for your info.

Lee Seng Kong

Hi Mat,

Prompted by you, I checked here

www.treasuresfromturkey.com/Earthenware01.html

and I am amazed with what I found,

Practically all the features of my item are shown in the photos on this site.....however it is stated that the items shown in the photo are copies and aged between 50 to 150 years old.

Too bad that the photos could not be enlarged for closer inspection.

Mine has very prominent iridescence all over the greenish areas with substantial other age signs  such as fine crackles, stubborn patchy stains within crackles, iron oxide stains, chips and nibbles.

DIMENSION:- H 38 x 20 dia (cm)....Wt:- 2kg

I have enclosed another close-up to show the prominence of the iridescence, unfortunately the photo still cannot do justice,but trust me when I say it is very prominent and well spread out.

Perhaps with the additional info. you can help to find more information...in particular, the likely age of my piece......as I do not think I am wrong to think it is much older than 50 to 150 years copies shown on the web-site.

Thank-you.

Mat

It looks like 19th c to me. Compare here: www.ceramopolis.com/?page_id=1008

Mat

Kardinalissimo, your vessel could be also from there, but I am not totally sure.

Lee Seng Kong

Thanks Mat,

At lest now I have some reference......I  bought it out of curiosity around mid 1980s, even though the beaker was broken totally and  at  a very cheap price.

Never did pay much attention to it since I could not match it with any references , except thinking that it might be Tang earthen wares.

It is only recently that I find time to join this forum that I venture to post this item to see if anyone could give me some leads.

Now that it is confirmed from the Middle East , I will try to find out if it could have been made earlier than the 19th Century.

The web-site you referred me appears to entertain inquiries.....so I will follow up.

Many thanks again

Kardinalissimo, it wlll be interesting if you can reveal where you bought your piece and where.

kardinalisimo

I'm sorry guys, I did not get any notifications about the replies(or I did not click the option).
I bought mine from an antique mall in US. I don't know personally the seller but all her items( pottery, stone, bronze, wood. etc) are Chinese, with few exceptions, maybe other Asian. Some are old and authentic but she has recent and "fake" pieces too.
I am not sure if mine is from the same group as the other shown examples. The only resemblance I see is the rope twist. But I cannot find other example with the handle going over the opening.
Also, there are faint images of small inscribed fish and birds around the body.

Lee Seng Kong

Hi Karl.,

Perhaps u can send a photo  of d completed item... That may help in identification

peterp

Please look at the bottom...