Bleu De Heu Porcelain ID Help

Started by Shunkpenn, Apr 09, 2017, 19:52:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Shunkpenn

Hello

This is my first post and I thank you in advance for the help. I purchased these two pieces a few years ago and now decided to do some research on identifying. Both pieces were quite dirty with old dirt when purchased..the kind that takes years to accumulate. They both measure about 12 inches and seem to be very high quality primary serving dishes. They also appear to be fairly old based on the glaze features and composition.  Let me know if you need additional pics.  Looking forward to any thoughts. Thanks for the help..and love the forum!

Shunkpenn

Sorry...forgot to include this pic

Shunkpenn

Here are better pics of the peacock plate...Thanks again for the help!

peterp

These are neither Bleu de Hue nor Chinese, they are Japanese.
The bottom one says Hizen as origin. Cannot read the mark of the other, but also Japanese.

Shunkpenn

Thanks so much.....I thought at first maybe Japanese....so much for my Chinese!..Any thoughts to age?

Stan

With out seeing close ups of the decoration, the style of the marks and the foot rim makes me think 20th century from the 80's in my opinion.

Shunkpenn

Stan

Thanks for the help.  Here are a few close up shots

Stan

Thanks for the additional pictures, these look hand painted, very nice, and good quality.

Shunkpenn

Stan

Thanks for the input.  Any thoughts on the kiln or place of origin?  Peter is definitely correct on the plate from Hizen.  The peacock scene plate remains a mystery. 

peterp

The second mark is partially difficult to read due to the handwriting. It could be ???, but the second character could also be something else. There is a ?? in Okinawa, it seems, but I cannot find anything similar elsewhere. The third character means 'kiln'.

Stan

Hi Shunkpenn, I try to memorize the best marks on Antique Japanese and Chinese porcelain and I use books for the ones I haven't yet memorized but on some Japanese marks they used cursive writing and some of it is illegible Esp. on vintage Japanese, thankfully Peter can interpret both Chinese and Japanese writing, I see a lot of Japanese porcelain in the Antique stores with cursive marks like these, they are 20th century mostly little saucers and cups, I'm just not that well versed on the later porcelain unless it is a well known kiln that is still producing today like Fukagawa, or Kutani thoughs are obvious marks, you can tell the new from the old.