Vases

Started by MMcG, Mar 12, 2017, 03:45:16

Previous topic - Next topic

MMcG

I am having a clear out and wondered if anyone could tell me what these Vases are, the smallest bulb one is chipped, has a lot of little dings in the surface that dirt has got into and made of porcelain as you can see through it when it is held up to the light. The bigger one is heavier and has no chips and the surface is in good condition with no chips or dings and you can not see through it when it is held up to the light.  I bought these 20 something years ago at a village fair when I was collecting all sorts of small vases, porcelain, studio pottery and glass, all the others have makers marks or signatures except these so do not know anything about them, not sure if they are Chinese as they are unmarked.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MMcG

some more pictures of the vases, not sure if I am posting good enough pictures.

Stan

The gourd shaped vase on the left looks like it could be republic period and the one on the right looks later if it is even Chinese, could be Japanese, the pictures of the bottoms are not good and should be clear with out glare or over exposure also any age marks like dimples or rust spots anything to indicate age, these photos should be clear for view, thanks.

MMcG

Thanks Stan for the information, not sure what Republican period is so will need to google it, I have tried to take better pictures of the bottoms of the vases.  Bought these for pennies because I liked them and may keep the bubble one as it is a nice little vase.  Would be grateful if you had any more information on it.  I have enjoyed reading the posts on this site and hopefully I can learn something from it.
Thanks again for your reply.

MMcG

Close up of the bottoms of the vases and taller vase scratch on porcelain.  Just really want to know if they are worth holding onto.  I know nothing about Chinese stuff so any help would be great, I also have some little pictures not sure if they are Japanese or Chinese and was wondering if I could upload pictures of those for advice.

Stan

The double gourd vase I think is republic period from 1912 tp 1949, I think on the later side judging from the foot rim, and baluster vase looks like it is 2nd half of the 20th century, Ive never seen that decoration before on Japanese or Chinese lets wait and see what others say.

heavenguy

I agree with Stan on both. The foot rim on the Double gourd is very common for Republic Period but there is a slight chance it could also be around 60's.

peterp

My first impression of the baluster vase was also that it is not Chinese. The design looks more European, but theoretically it might also be Japanese export for Europe.

MMcG

Thank you all for your replies, I've not won a lollipop then, at least I know they are not for the family inheritance pot and getting rid would not be a big mistake.

Your site is very informative and I may seek your advice with a couple of other things of equally less value and importance.

Stan

Hi Peter, my concern with the baluster vase is how white the glaze is and on the bottom and there are no apparent age signs other than the orange line on the bottom where the glaze meets the unglazed, but that is being done to day on new porcelain, the blue and white Japanese porcelain is similar to the Chinese, the period pieces where never white white, unless the photo taken in this post has not captured the true white remains to be seen.

MMcG

Hi Stan, not sure if it makes any difference but both vases are kinda bluish white, (not bright white) or maybe even kinda greyish.  Any way, thanks for taking the time to look and comment on them.

Stan

Hi MMcG, any time, this is a learning experience for me as well, I think Peter is right, the baluster is Japanese export to Europe and the white you described would make it late 19th century to early 20th in my opinion.