Ceramic vase, blue decoration

Started by quintenf, Feb 19, 2017, 17:28:56

Previous topic - Next topic

quintenf

Hello everybody,

I recently bought this vase ( I assume it's a vase). I don't even know if this is Chinese, Japanese or an other asian country. I hope you can tell me some more about the age and origin of this object, I would be really thankfull!

peterp

This item is printed. That means it is a modern product, I'm afraid.

quintenf

Thanks for your reply. I allready noticed that the painted stopped at some paint, or isn't really well printed on. Is this how you saw that is wat printed and not painted? And what about all the black dots on the vase? I thought this was a sign of age, will this be done on purpose to make it look old?

peterp

Yes, the spots can be artificially added; they are often to make inexperienced people believe an item is old.

quintenf

Thanks, I believe I also read this in the ebook indeed. Are there any other ways to tell this item isn't old? You allready mentioned the fact that the paint is printed on, but anything else?

peterp

The glaze color and blue color are not right. Again, the many spots are not natural. It would be difficult to get an item with so many spots if made in an ancient kiln.
But this is all irrelevant. Printing (transfer printing) was not used in China until later in the 20th century. Hand painted porcelain is still made today, so there was probably no need for it.