Imari charger

Started by wk, Feb 11, 2017, 00:03:41

Previous topic - Next topic

wk

Hi, found this about 20" large charger at an antique store for a very reasonable price but wonder if it's authentic.

I don't know much about Imari, whether it is Japanese or Chinese and from which period.

Any help appreciated!

wk

peterp

Despite the Chinese motif and some Chinese style decoration elements, overall this is still Japanese. The base and underside decoration look Japanese too.

I always recommend that collectors learn more about the base/foot rim because it is often possible to escape the fallacy of wrong  identification based on a decoration alone.. The base and firing methods used in different places and eras  frequently allow detecting a different origin or time of manufacture.

wk

Thank you Peter. Mostly Japanese then. I will look into the Imari topic as well to learn more.
Would this be 20th century or earlier?

peterp

Let's see what Stan says. I cannot tell age for sure, but yes I think it is 20th century.

Stan

In the last photo, " the foot rim" clearly shows the stilt marks on the bottom of the charger, the four blue rings on the bottom would point to Arita, I'm not sure if this bottom decoration is Peonies or Lotus scrolling vine, I have not seen that decoration on the bottom of a charger before, the foot rim looks good for late 19th century, the Japanese often painted Chinese people for decoration, the front decoration and colors looks right for the period, a 20" charger is rare, they normally would be 16 to 18" good find.

Stan

Even though I'm saying 19th century, these photos of the foot rim are not the best, there should be a photo that clearly shows the front and back of the foot rim at an angle to give a true picture of the foot, I can see why you would think 20th century, not good photo's, a good photo as described above would confirm this.

wk

Thank you Stan!

The photos are not the best, you're right. I will try to take some better ones tomorrow with daylight.

I have uploaded the larger photos just in case.
imgur.com/a/jswJY

wk

Here is the photo of the foot under an angle. The foot is not very high from the plate but it's deeper in the middle.

Stan

Yes indeed this photo confirms late 19th century.

wk