Identification of bowl.

Started by Hughesj12, Apr 30, 2014, 03:01:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Hughesj12

purchased this bowl at the weekend at an antiques fair. The dealer seemed to think it was Canton Export from around 1860. Famille verte design. I've tried to find out more from the marks but not having much luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

calder

Hi the foot rim looks Japanese as does the mark.
Someone will tell you for definite.

Stan

It looks like someone tried to write a six character Chenghua mark and did not know how, however it could be Japanese export to China. I do not recognize the mark on the right side.

shelley Kong

Dear all,
The Chinese characters say " made in 1928 in the city of sheep (old name for the capital city of Canton where my ancestors were from)"
Shelley

Stan

Hi Shelly, Thanks for reading that, in my book of marks, I found one mark that resembled the Chenghua mark the only mark that did not match was the top right mark the other 5 marks matched, do you know what the character is that
on the far right side of the bowl.

Stan

Also the decoration on the bowl looks like everything is outlined in black, it is hard to tell with these two photos, I would need a closer photo of the details on the bowl, if it is all out lined in black it would be a later made bowl late 20th century.

Stan

Another thing to mention, is the bottom is not a traditional Canton bottom, this to would point to a later made bowl.

shelley Kong

Stan,
The top right character means "sheep/goat" the second means "city" which looks like "Cheng" of Chenghua. The year can be 1988 rather than 1928 judging from the overall appearance of the bowl.
Shelley

Stan

Thanks shelly, I agree with the later date.

Hughesj12

Thanks all for the input. Very useful. Bit disappointed about the age but luckly i didn't pay too much and very decorative never the less. Do you think the mark to the right indicates the artist?

James