Chinese blue and white old plate

Started by Stan, Feb 02, 2017, 04:06:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, and all I am pretty sure this is Chinese, maybe southeast Asia, the plate is 28.5 cm wide it could be Korean but not sure, any help on age and make would be helpful, thanks.

Stan

Here are the rest of the photo's, thanks for viewing.

Hmm

I have no clue whether Japanese or Korean people used to stencil their names on their ceramics, but ? is not a Chinese surname that I know of.  But I believe it could be used as a Japanese surname?  Or maybe someone illiterate didn't know which "fu" character their last name was, and just picked the one that meant lucky, since that one is pretty ubiquitous?

peterp

Early Qing, I would say. Part of the decoration is applied using stamps.

To Hmm: if you are talking about the Fu character pricked into the glaze, that could be anything. Contrarily, I find it rare that  a name proper is used. Often it seems to be a symbol that superficially resembles a character but with strokes not existing in proper Chinese writin. Just anything really. 
Consider it a marking used only for identification of individual ownership when items were used for communal use.

Stan

Thanks Peter, so Shunzhi period, thats great, and made for domestic use instead of export makes it even better I think.

peterp

I could not really tell if it is Shunzhi. If we say early Qing it mostly includes the Kangxi reign too. Shunzhi wares are not that plenty and often look more or less the same. I think it is likely not from Jingdezhen but another kiln in the south.

Stan

Thanks again Peter, I have a question, the inside of the plate where it is unglazed, was that done so that they could stack other bowls or etc on top to get more in the kiln?

peterp

That is right, Stan. Such stacking areas are mostly found in the simple wares for the common folks, and they became less frequent later in the Qing dynasty. I'm not sure if this usage also depended on the kiln or not.