chinese jar

Started by Simonne, Apr 28, 2014, 12:50:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Simonne

Hello,
I would like to know your opinion regarding this small jar, old or new?
Thank you,
Simonne

peterp

In my view new, and possibly not Chinese. They tried to copy a certain Chinese decoration, but failed...

Stan

I think this is Japanese from the looks of the gold and the top unglazed area where the lid fits, I have a couple of japanese items that the tops are unglazed like yours, did the Chinese do their tops the same way? for Peter.

peterp

Stan, I have recently seen a number of items (have one or two) which also had the rim of the jar and lid fit with a brass ring. I suspect that this is a newer method of making items look genuine antique. After some time the patina of the brass looks really old.
I have been thinking of the decoration being painted in SE Asia or in the west...the Japanese either copy Chinese patterns very accurate, or with some distinctive flavor. This one is a copy of a common Qing, Jiaqing pattern, but it is just not the same as the original. It is either Chinese, trying to imitate a western painting style, or it is not Chinese, but is trying to imitate a Chinese style. To me only the latter makes sense.

Simonne

Thank you Peter, Stan,  for your replies.
Yes Peter, you are right, there is a brass ring on the rim of the jar and the lid.

Have a nice day,
Simonne