Yongzheng mark

Started by Claudio, Dec 01, 2016, 22:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Claudio

Hello Peter and Stan,
I ask again your help to identify this little vase. H cm 10,7; W cm 3.
Thank you.
Claudio

Claudio

More photos

Claudio

Last photo. BTW, it is 3 cm wide at the bottom rim.

peterp

This is using some kind of transfer printing, including the mark.
The bottom/foot rim is wrong for an antique.

Claudio

Thank you Peter for your  help. I'm beginning to understand how the foot rim of a chinese vase should NOT be.

Michael

I'd avoid this if I were the buyer because of the type of bubbles on the underglazed blue. It's modern.

Claudio

Michael, how should appear the bubbles to be old bubbles?

Michael

Your Yongzheng has to many bubbles and the color density of the underglaze blue is off. Yongzheng blue is beautiful and vibrant. Yours is pale in comparison.

Claudio

The evaluation of the bubbles of glaze seems to be an interesting topic. Peter, do these bubbles play a role in the dating of chinese porcelain?

peterp

Yes, they may, but we look at the bottom for other reasons. This is because the foot rim is often the only place where the clay body is not glazed. It shows density, color, etc. of the clay and must correspond to the era an item is supposed to be from. The other is the shape of the foot rim, and in your case this is wrong for an antique item. It is too low, and the connection to the bottom area is rounded.
That often points to an injected, modern item. Apart from the items of one specific kiln, usually the rim is higher and and there is a corner where the foot rim and bottom area meet.
But printing alone is also meaning that the item is recent, because China did not start using transfer printing until far into the 20th century.

Claudio

Thank you Peter for your illuminating and useful answer.