Meiping black mirror vases

Started by Claudio, Nov 30, 2016, 02:08:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Claudio

Hello Peter,
Here is a pair of meiping black mirror small vases. They are heavy and very silky to the touch. The glaze looks thick, the mark unidentified. H cm 15,5 ; W cm 3,8 at the bottom. I ask again your expert opinion, this time I can immediately post more photos if you want. Thank you for your help.

Claudio

More photos

Claudio

More photos

peterp

The mark reads "Jushun meiyutang". A hall mark, it seems. I would think this is late Qing dynasty. Judging by the size and shape it is likely that the pair was standing on an altar, etc.

Claudio

Thank you Peter for your expertise.

Claudio

Peter, I searched for Jushun Meiyutang and found he was a maker form Kangxi era, so the mark on my vases could be an apocryphal Kangxi hall mark? Thank you for your time.

peterp

Sorry for being not clear. I said "hall" mark because the Chinese character ? means hall or studio, etc. It is also used sometimes by shops, but is unlikely a maker's mark. It is more likely the mark of the entity that ordered these to be made. But, it could also just be used because of its auspicious meaning. In my view this foot rim cannot be from the Kangxi reign. It is more likely Guangxu.

Claudio

Thank you Peter. As usual, your answers are greatly interesting and useful.