wooden basket with porcelain insert..

Started by Hmm, Nov 26, 2016, 04:53:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Hmm

Hi, I presume this is supposed to be a wedding basket rather than a food basket.  I was wondering if one could tell the age of the basket based on the porcelain insert.  Thanks.

imgur.com/a/RmJWT

heavenguy

I know they use antique porcelain broken fragments on this type of items to salvage and create tourist items. Usually you see them in some type of rectangular trinket boxes but looks like a food basket indeed. Usually I see people say they are from the 80's or 90's but They are still making them thought.  I wouldn't eat from there either, they say they used lead on the black paint inside.

carlyoung

I think they are called ''shard boxes'' can be 19th century but probably made through to the late 20th century. Maybe someone can identify the age of the shard by the face ? It shouldn't be too hard.

billbilly

peterp

The porcelain is a piece of a vase, about from the 1930s or 40s, I would say. The basket is lacquer ware, relatively recent. Indeed such items are still used today. Often they are used for storing or presenting sweets, candies, etc.

Hmm

Thanks all, I thought the porcelain piece looked to be a Republic piece, but thought the rest of the basket looked relatively new, so didn't quite understand what was going on.  Nice to know what it is.