Green glazed incense burner

Started by heavenguy, Nov 20, 2016, 04:49:46

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello I found this really neat censer on an estate sale today.

The item looks old but the glaze is somewhat shiny . I really can't tell if it is Stoneware or porcelain (???). It has a tape on the bottom that says antique incense bowl. This was the only oriental item I found on the estate. I'm guessing it's Chinese probably Tongzhi or Guanxu.

Any information will be highly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

heavenguy

more photos

heavenguy

last photo, thank you!!!

peterp

I would first try to remove the ash and clean up the interior, to show the unglazed area. The feet should be cleaned too, in order to see if the brown color is natural or comes off.  If it comes off it may not be caused by iron oxide. Does the white area on the feet touch the ground flat, on all three feet?

heavenguy

Hello PeterP,

I clean to my max of my abilities. The Dark is really stuck in there and I'm afraid to damage the piece. but it looks like it's unglazed there too. The brown color stay in there for both bowl and legs no matter how hard i tried to remove it. There is a few underglaze iron spots under glaze too. The white part of the glaze seems to be in flat with the surface too. I attached better photos after cleaning the piece.

heavenguy

more pics

heavenguy

Last photo.

Some dark ash was hard to remove so as you can see from the last pic.

Thank you in advance.

peterp

Thanks for the additional pictures.
To be on the safe side I would think this is a celadon censer of at least the Qing dynasty. In my view the third picture from the bottom shows clearly that this is old. There is a good possibility that this is Ming.

I have been looking into the possibility of it being a Ming Longquan celadon censer, but not sure for two reasons. One is the shine you mention. Longquan wares are rarely that shiny. The second is the rough unglazed legs. The brown color would be normal for Longquan, and the clay is usually gray. But even with the shiny glaze it is difficult to entirely deny the possibility that this is Longquan, perhaps made at one of the peripheral kilns of the Longquan kiln system.
My personal opinion.

heavenguy

Oh wow... That will be great if it was a Ming Piece. This piece deserves that I check on it a little bit more. I thank you once again for your value information and I will defenetly look into this. Once again thank you so much and Kudos to you.