Chinese Bojan

Started by Amicus, Sep 29, 2016, 19:52:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicus

Hello Gents
Can anyone tell me more about this one. To me it looks like some illustration of some kind of manufacturing process. Or perhaps a school of some sort? What say ye.

I believe the stamp is Kangxi so could it be from around 1900?

Stan

I agree with the age could be late Qing.

peterp

This seems to be what is called Kangxi revival. The four character Kangxi mark usually appears in the Guangxu reign, and the glazed neck is also appearing late in the Guangxu reign. Earlier in the Qing dynasty Ginger jars had no glazed necks.

Amicus

So we have the period then. But what is depicted. Anyone interested in guessing? Should I post more pictures?

Stan

Maybe three women scholars, I am not sure, I do not know customs, on most that I have seen it seems like men would be scholars.

peterp

That is right, Stan. Scholars were always men. Judging by the furniture it is just a scene at home.

Stan

Thank you Peter, I learned something again.

Amicus

So this piece is meant to be domestic and not for export? Its very interesting to hear your opinions thanks for you input Peter and Stan.

peterp

No, this is export porcelain with a domestic scene... :-)  Who says all export porcelain must show something from literature or history?

Amicus

I've never seen "ordinary" scenes on porcelain but why not? Modern people post all kinds of pictures on instagram etc. Vanity! I love it!