Monochrome Blue tall Bowl

Started by heavenguy, Sep 15, 2016, 02:11:35

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello guys,

I was reluctant to buy this Tall bowl cup because I never seen the shape like this before, especially the inside of the foot rim. But for 8 bucks it's no like it hurts someone. It shows Kiln flaws and wear, and a little bit of damage. It has a really nice ring.

I know they did blue monochrome like this by blowing on a straw. Also the foot rim shows no iron color

Any ideas???

heavenguy

more pics.

carlyoung

It looks Chinese and looks to have some age , what a purchase.

I have no idea about the shape though.

peterp

You were right, the foot is odd, and so it the foot rim. Not something from the Qing dynasty, probably.

Stan

The Kangxi and Guangxu were doing this incised foot rim, but I do not know if they had this type of finish in the Kangxi period, the shape is right for the kangxi period however there was a Kangxi revival in the Guangxu period, this could be Guangxu, I found a pair of Mirror-black stem cups on Christies Lot 613 sale 5291 they have the same shape, there's are 14 cm tall.

heavenguy

Thank you All.

I been looking around the web for Kangxi foot rims and for some reason there are some really weird ones and a few similar to this one. I also found a few with this type of foot.

This bowl is exactly 14 cms tall. The blue is what they call powder blue. I read that it comes from the ming but they did it for awhile starting from Kangxi.  (at least that's what Gotheborg website mentions.) now the color it's a little big stronger on what they usually show

I guess this bowl or stem cup worth a little more digging. =)

Stan

I wish I could see the foot rim on the ones that sold at Christies, that is interesting that yours is the same shape and size, also the unglazed part of the foot is very white which I believe is another resemblance towards Kangxi but the glaze looks to smooth and shiny to be from that period I think.

peterp

First one thing, if anyone has a reliable source for such a foot shape, I would be interested to know. The incision looks much too deep. It should only be a clean-cut glaze edge, I suppose?  This one is already reminiscent of the stepped foot rim, but the rim itself appears to have a bit more width than usual.
Stan, unfortunately the auction house you mention is not a reliable source, in my opinion. Of the big three this is the only one that often auctions items which have me and others doubt authenticity.
Anyway. I would be careful with any commercial establishments and look for additional proof.

What concerns the glaze, that is/was sprayed on. That seems to have been the main way of applying color glazes in the Ming dynasty, but it was still used on and off during the Qing dynasty. That means that in the Ming dynasty many monochrome glazes 'should' show traces of spraying, while in the Qing dynasty they 'can' be there, or they may be absent.

peterp

You did not mention any dimensions. There are mainly three types of high footed items. Cups or bowls for drinking (liquor), tazzas were many used for offerings on an altar, and ritual vessels. Blue is a color used for ritual vessels, try finding information this way.

Stan

Hi Peter, I agree, they are not the top of the three best auction houses, but they sold for a whopping $21,062. dollars, and did you look at the glaze when you enlarge the photo's, the glaze looks like a Kangxi mirror black glaze to me, I can't imagine something selling for that amount these day's but I could be wrong, I am not sure if the measurement on Christies cups is with the stands or without the stands, if they are with out the stands they would be the same size 14cm.

heavenguy

PeterP and Stan,

I know we have to be careful with items like this. Yes the item was 14 cms tall and 7.1 inches in diameter.  around 2.7 pounds. I also asked the opinion from Mr Allen about this pieces and he says that "The foot rim has been turned off on the inside, something I associate with the 19th century" and also "The colour is not in my opinion is good enough for Kangxi, although the body looks good quality". "Late 19th century".

If we look very well at the photos from Christie's, the inside bowl looks a lot whiter than the one I have. It has a slight blue tint too, not like the foot glaze that it's very white.

I also was looking at some videos from Peter Combs on youtube, and he was showing slides of a Kangxi piece. and that piece had a more softer blue color than the one I have. I know this piece it's not typical shape or anything but in my opinion when you hold it in your hands it doesn't look new or badly made. Looks old. I  just with it would be older.

Stan

Hi Heavenly, I never believed it was Kangxi, I wrote Guangxu in the Kangxi style which is late Qing, I agree the glaze is late 19th,  in my humble opinion.

heavenguy

Thank you Stan. One of this days I will find a real Kangxi piece... One of this days....