Tenmoku Bowl

Started by kardinalisimo, Sep 02, 2016, 22:11:23

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Recent?

peterp

I think so.
To get a real one the simplest would be to buy one from one of the sellers specializing in SE Asian shipwreck items. But those are sometimes not in the best shape.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the reply.
Are there any features that can give a clue about the age?
I have no idea how to tell. There are quite of few variations of those glazes. Don't know what to look in the bisque either.
By the way, I could not find online a piece with tenmoku glaze and stacking ring but I guess those rings can be seen on any type of ware and any period from Song on.

peterp

Tenmoku is a Japanese name for several types of tea bowls made in the Song dynasty. They (the Japanese) do make these themselves too, even now..
You have to look for Jian aka Jianyang kiln and for Jizhou kiln bowls, for the original Tenmoku bowls. There are also a few less known kilns in that vicinity who made them.

The color of the clay is wrong for both the Jian and Jizhou kilns. The color of the clay is important, because clay was always mined in a certain area and at various depths; despite variations, its color still remains within a certain range, usually. Jizhou and Jian clay are different from each another, in color as well as decoration, but yours fits neither. The foot rim should be flat not rounded, if it were Song.

kardinalisimo

I totally rule out Song but if not wrong they made pieces with similar glazes during the following dynasties as well but no idea what type of clay they used.
Thanks for the tip on the rounded foot ring.

peterp

I do not know about any later copies, except those in recent times. There won't be many, though, and your assumption may be wrong.
The reason is that after the Song dynasty the way of drinking and brewing tea completely changed in China, and these bowls found probably little later. There is a purpose to the wide mouthed shape and the black color, and that is related to the way they were used.

Better look at the old ones to learn. That one looks as if it could have been made very recently, not a hundred or more years ago.

kardinalisimo

Thanks Peter. Glad I opened the discussion so I can research more and learn new things.From what I found out, the Song foot rims are flat indeed.
I just thought that those glazes were reproduced during Qing maybe, as with some other older type of wares.

While on the subject, I remembered I had two other bowls with black glaze. No idea if Chinese at all, could be studio pieces. I am not sure if I asked about them before. Any thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks

peterp

In my view these are modern items, nothing traditional Chinese. At least the shape of the top one resembles a Japanese shape. Possibly studio ware. My personal view.