Satsuma Vase Marked Kozan

Started by bokaba, Jul 28, 2016, 11:17:13

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

Is this a little better? I think the detail is nicer, but I am suspicious of the footrim and do not believe to actually be a Kozan piece.

bokaba

peterp

Question, does it look as if the ladies are wearing "shoes"?  The images do not show enough detail, but  if the answer is yes, then something is wrong.

bokaba

It's hard to tell, but I think it is a fold in the kimono.

peterp

Both ladies in blue clearly show a foot. With both I can see what seems to be the sole, but no straps.
Wearing kimono their could be only two possibilities, either geta (??) or ladies slippers. Both are held with straps between the big and second toe, and should be conspicuous at the side. White would be the tabi (??), but there must be straps. Nobody wears kimono and shoes.

peterp

The mark is not Kozan. The first character would be read kinu or haku, it seems. This is not a common character in Japanese, names or other. Therefore the reading would most likely be either Kinuyama or Hakusan. But as I said, this is not a common character, at least not today. But there is a ?? which is associated with ceramics.
Addition: There seems to be no place name in Japan with the characters mentioned in the mark.

Stan

The colors are fairly modern for this type of earthenware.