Kinkozan Beaker?

Started by bokaba, Jul 18, 2016, 03:36:02

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

15 inch beaker type vase. I think it has some type of Kinkozan mark on the side, but the bottom is unmarked. I don't think the decoration is too impressive. My guess is mid 20th Century maybe.

bokaba

More pics

bokaba

Bottom and top

Stan

I question that this is Kinkozan, it would half to be the later by Kobayashi Sobei the 5th, 1868 to 1927 but this vase has none of the characteristic of his work, for example he like to use gold and silver on his items and the quality was very high, I thinks this is a later copy, I have never seen his pieces signed like this either, sloppy, he had a reputation to maintain to keep up with his predecessor Kobayasy Sobei the 4th.

Mat

I do not think this mark reads "Kinkozan", I believe it could be rather a very sloppy "Toritei zo" (????). The style is called "Awata yaki", Kinkozan produced also wares in this style. Date should be Meiji period.

Stan

Thanks Mat, I suspected it could be another name but I am not familiar with the potter, you think late Meiji then?

Mat

bokaba

Thanks Matt ans Stan. I had never heard of Toritei either. From what I could find, Toritei was a decorator at the Matsuro Studio in Kyoto and was active from the mid to late Meiji period (1880s to 1912).