beatifull facial expression

Started by Rec, May 03, 2016, 06:12:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

Hey there,
what is your opinion about these Japanese/ Chinese poly chrome teapot?
is this a genuine peace? old/ new?

heavenguy

Hi, seems pretty recent to me. It looks like transfer ware. not traditional Chinese so its probably very very new.

Stan

heavenguy is right, and the lid and the tea pot was made in a mould.

Rec

Thank you for sharing your knowledge

Stan
I'm trying to learn. Could you please tell me what's the problem with moulded porcelain? Do you mean that moulded porcelain can't be antique?

heavenguy

I'm not really sure if the used molds for antique porcelain (Unless you mean hand molded), but I'm pretty sure that 99% of molded or plaster to a mold porcelain stuff today is recent. I know that bisque figurines in the 30 or 40s they used molds.

I think I read somewhere that in the 50's the started using gypsum molds for almost everything so they can save on material making the pieces much lighter in weight. A hand crafted item has a chance of been an antique piece  (but could be a fake), has a much denser weight and it shows uneven parts, crafting lines., signs of wear, oxidation, etc... Those are the ones you want to look for...

Stan

No, Im sure the Chinese had moulded porcelain but not injected moulds like the one yours portrays, Im pretty sure yours is modern as well as the decoration, Im sure peter can explain better than I can about moulded porcelain.

peterp

I know only that Dehua apparently started working with gypsum molds in or around 1934. That does not mean the clay was not pressed into to molds manually.  With the others it was probably starting not before the move from a kiln to factory setting was made.
The bottom of this one could be injected, which automatically means there is a mold, I think. The round edges and corners of the foot rim/base and the slanted foot rim face probably have that shape to facilitate injection and removal of the porcelain body. In other words, the pot could have been shaped in a factory production line using machines.

Stan

Thanks Peter for sharing that, I remember discussing this before, but unfortunately I forget more than I learn, thanks again.