Does anybody recognize the mark in this huge porcelain chinese couple

Started by hoogenbosch67, Mar 25, 2016, 06:03:08

Previous topic - Next topic

hoogenbosch67

Measurements
Both height 54cm and width 27cm weight 6,4 and 7,1 kg.

There is a mark but hardly to recognize

What age do you expect

greetings Jan

hoogenbosch67

hoogenbosch67

Extra mark and bottom

peterp

I cannot help with this, I'm afraid. The only that I can say is that it probably is a few decades old, but never saw such a strange bottom. You should try to find out what these were used for, then it might be easier to find who might have made them.

hoogenbosch67

Hello Peter,

I continued the investigation and found out that these sculptures (or figurines) are from Shiwan (China). See link for more info
www.koh-antique.com/shiwan/shiwan.htm

They are indeed only some centuries old (2nd half 20th century) 1960-1970. But interesting is that these sculptures were used in Qing dynastie as decoration on the roof of a temple. That explains possibly also the strange bottom so they stand on a wooden stick. (see first picture link)

Greetings Jan

peterp

You probably mean a few decades not centuries... Yes, that is what I thought, only that the roof figurines I have seen did not have have such a bottom, and they were probably quite older than these. Roof figurines are usually part of a tile, or stuck unto one with something like plaster.
But for complex setups on walls, etc., I imagine that there are other methods to fix them. What you see in that picture, though seems to be a wall decoration. It is not clear whether or not this is ON the roof, but I doubt this is a typical temple roof. Temple roofs are tiled and fairly high, and not flat. I see no roof tiles above, but it could be an upper storey decoration, so one does not see what is behind it.