How old

Started by mulligan_43, Feb 25, 2016, 06:47:31

Previous topic - Next topic

mulligan_43

How old could be this vase
Thanks

peterp

Try uploading pictures of about 100kB with sufficient resolution to see details. With this type of item it is not possible to tell by such small pictures.

mulligan_43

Dear Sirs!
This vase of the period of the Republic has been acquired in China, Dairen in 1928.
The vase is painted with reproductions from pictures of Giuseppe Castiglione (Lang Shinning), 1688 1766), stored now in the National palace museum in Taipei.
When purchasing, I was told, that earlier this vase was an exhibit of the Imperial palace museum in Beijing and was mentioned in the corresponding catalog of that time.
I was told also, that this vase belongs to rare, as copying of pictures of Giuseppe Castiglione was strictly forbidden at that time. Therefore, drawing of dog was developed specularly, for it wasn't considered as the exact copy of the original.
I ask to tell me, whether this vase can be an original or it is a fake?
Thanks in advance,
Ivan, Moscow, Russia
P.S. Sorry for my bad English

mulligan_43

-

mulligan_43

-

mulligan_43

-

peterp

1928 would be possible, if the item was new at the time. But, it is more likely later. Do you have first hand information that it was purchased in 1928, or is it second hand information?

The mark is a spurious Qianlong mark. The foot rim seems to indicate a period of the republican period or later.
It is impossible to verify if this could be from the mentioned without hands-on inspection. It is more likely later than mid-20th century, though, judging by the green color and base. This sort of item looks more like something that was made in the last decades of the 20th century.

If the year 1928 was mentioned by the same person that mentioned that "this vase was an exhibit of the Imperial palace museum in Beijing" I would rather doubt this.
We see many items being sold with claims that they were from the imperial collection.
According to researchers in China and an information here, palace museum pieces never leaked out of the museum. Such claims are most likely false.

Stan

Not to mention the bats on the bottom, I have never seen bats with flames coming out of the tips of their wings that is a new one for me, I agree  last half of the 20th century and more than likley the later half.

mulligan_43

Thank you very much, my friends!
This vase has it's own interesting story, but it would be hard for me to describe it in English.
Do you have a Russian translator? I shall try, if not.
Regards
Ivan

Stan

Please try in English, thanks.

mulligan_43

Well, I will try. But I ask to give me other e-mail address, not public. As my information contains ?ny data of personal character

peterp

Then, rather don't tell it. This is a public forum.