Bowl, Chinese or not?

Started by Ragna, Mar 09, 2016, 20:22:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragna

Hello,

I bought this bowl for 2? on a flea market, and I do not know, where it  comes from. I cannot find something similar to this in european ceramics.
I think, it is older and the incarving at the rim looks handmade, however the ground looks like it is impressed.

Do you have any idea, what it may be?

Ragna

Here are two more pictures of the Bowl.  And please tell me, what you think: Is it Celadon or not?

Stan

If this is Chinese it would be late 20th century, In my opinion.

Ragna

Thank you, Stan, then it must be an european  item.
Do you think, that the glace could be Seladon?
Many thanks in advance.

Stan

This would be called a Celadon glaze, it originated in the Han dynasty at the Longuan kilns, the glaze colors from greenish to green and blue, these wares were copied by Japanese and Korean kilns early on and are still being copied today.

peterp

I would like to correct this information a bit. Based on my Chinese sources celadon was fired by other kilns which were not as large. Longquan kiln has its origin in the Northern Song dynasty. But as Stan mentioned, celadon was fired since about the Han dynasty. It did not look like the later celadon, though. I would call it a proto-celadon. It was not even greenish at all, but has more of a yellowish color. The original glaze was possibly discovered by accident, being liquid soot that dripped in the heat of the kiln from the ceiling unto the wares fired below.

Stan

Thanks Peter, my info is westernized.

Ragna

Thank you so much, that was a great help and very interesting!