Is this export piece likely a Qianlong/Jiaqing period piece?

Started by Hmm, Dec 27, 2015, 05:47:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Hmm

I believe it was supposed to be used for tea, although it's a little small at 7" width.

imgur.com/a/Ftl8k

Thanks.

Stan

Looks like it to me, I am not familar with this shape though.

peterp

Jiaqing/Daoguang
I do not think this was specifically for export.

Hmm

How does one differentiate between a late Qianlong piece and a Daoguang piece?  I thought since the porcelain is somewhat similar in whiteness that it might have been an earlier piece, but I have no clue.  Is it the blue underglazed pattern?

I also assumed that it was an export piece simply because of the shape.  I wasn't sure Chinese people used a shape like that before. 

Thanks.

Stan

The reason I was thinking Qianlong or Jiaqing is the way it was drawn, it looks like there are little prick marks through out the pattern, if Im not mistaken this was the method that was used at that time, the design would have been marked out with little prick marks in the porcelain before they started painting.

peterp

This is a typical 19th century decoration. As far as I know this decoration did only come into existence or became popular in the Jiaqing reign, so it is unlikely Qianlong.

Stan

Your right Peter, I could not find anything with that design in Qianlong or Jiaqing.

peterp

Stan, this is a very common decoration. If you cannot find it, you are probably looking in the wrong place. As mentioned, this is not export porcelain, and it is still widely found, as it was used by the common people.
Look at this: preview.tinyurl.com/pwerh4e  I think you will be able to distinguish the new ones from the antiques.
There are some variations, but this specific pattern is almost always attributed to the Jiaqing/Daoguang period. However, it was used until the end of the Qing dynasty. You will find it frequently on the so-called 'wedding jars', ginger jars, seal ink boxes,  etc., apart from bowls, plates, etc.
BTW, I do not know how this pattern is called in English. The literal translation of the Chinese would be something like 'vine lotus' or 'lotus vine' decoration, although the flower does not resemble a lotus.