Tonghzi Reign Mark 10 1/2" plate

Started by pudder1, Nov 12, 2015, 02:51:41

Previous topic - Next topic

pudder1

Can you please verify whether or not this plate is from the Tonghzi Reign?  I matched the mark with a verified mark, but am not sure whether the colors and pattern are from that period.  I appreciate your help and response.

peterp

Probably 20th century. FYI, up to now I have never seen a millefleur type decoration with lotus flowers and leaves alone. It is not millefleur, actually, but apart from those there are virtually no floral decorations covering 100% of the space. It also looks more like 20th century style.

pudder1

Thank you very much for your reply!  So what you're saying is, if I find something with 100% coverage of florals, then I should know right away that it isn't antique.  Correct?  Is having this pattern a good thing?

peterp

I suggest you enter "millefleur" or "millefiori" in the search box of the main site. There were quite a number of enquiries in this respect over the years.
As far as I know the decoration began to be used in the Qianlong reign, but was never abundant until the 20th century. Therefore, it is more likely that you get something more recent, but the oldest I have seen were about Guangxu reign.

Stan

It is hard to tell from these photo's whether the black lines are printed or hand drawn, a close up of the decoration might reveal its true age, also the back, it is hard to see the shape of the foot when the photo is straight up from the camera, if taken at an angle it reveals a better picture of the bottom and foot rim.

pudder1

Thank you for your interest.  I've taken more pictures.  Please let me know if I need to take more differently.  I believe that the decoration is totally hand drawn and hand painted.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion on the foot.

Stan

I agree with Peter, 20th century, the dark green looks like a chemical color and the bottom foot rim looks modern to me.

pudder1

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate you taking a second look at this