Brown Glazed stem Dish/ Bowl

Started by Andy Dorset, Nov 05, 2015, 01:00:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Dorset

Hi again,
This is the second item and something that I did hint did not know whether it is Chinese or not. Its a process of elimination for me really and I hoped you might be able to point me in the right direction. Have spent hours looking for something similar but have failed completely, a real mystery. It looks to be fairly skilfully made with shades of brown ( from milk chocolate to almost black) and the bowl is on a stem dimensions 3 1/2 high and 4 1/2 inches wide. It has a two tone twist glaze to the stem and the bowl has a glaze which reminds me of hares fur which may not be obvious in the images. The bowl has three areas where the glaze is missing and I am assuming that it is incomplete. I thought that maybe it was once an oil burner or something of that ilk. The foot is unglazed and it does appear old ( perhaps even been unearthed at some point). I cannot tell you anymore really but hope the photos may throw some light on it. Could it potentially be Chinese? As I say I have researched it as far as I can and cannot find anything similar.
Many thanks in advance.
Andy

peterp

Hi, the shape of the foot is a bit different from what I know in Chinese porcelain. And so is the color. If it were uniformly brown it would be easier to accept. There is one more thing. As far as I know this sort of crude glaze was hardly used on high foot bowls or cups; so a candle stand or oil lamp is possible. This glaze would likely be fired in one of the southern kilns, but it is not possible to exclude the possibility of it not being Chinese at all.

Andy Dorset

Thanks Peter, I knew this one would not be so easy to pin down. I have checked many archives under Egyptian, Greek, Asian etc and found nothing similar. I guess it was the glaze that made me feel it could be Chinese. Do you feel also , from the images it may have been at some point under ground? Andy