Chinese ducai porcelain

Started by Stan, Mar 21, 2014, 03:37:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter and anyone else that would like to comment. I have a pair of these vase, they have a blue over glaze and they look old, one has a chip and a hair line crack and the other has two small hair line cracks on the bottom, I think they are late Qing possibly early republic, they have pitting and rust spots and glaze missing in some areas, the colors are very transparent and nicely decorated the mark on the side is a Qianlong mark, I'm sure its a spurious mark, I think it might by Guangxu period, any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Stan

More pictures of the vase, this vase is not traditional in style and so could be newer but it is confusing with the age signs. I will send one more set of pictures.

Stan

This is the last set of Photo's please let me know what you think.

peterp

Stan, I can't give an opinion on authenticity. I have never handled authentic doucai porcelain items from the Qing dynasty. They are just too rare.
I would like to make two remarks, however, for your consideration. First, I have doubt about the yellow ring, or rather the type of yellow color used. This does not look like a mineral pigment. It may be newer.
The mark is written in Kaishu style, while it should be in Zhuanshu, for the Qianlong dynasty. Please see: http://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/antique-pottery-marks.html
My Chinese marks book shows no exception.

Stan

Hi Peter, Im glad your back, I am amazed that you picked up on the yellow band, you don't miss anything, I was told when I bought the pair of vases that one of the vases at the bottom had separated at the base and put back on , you can see the whiter porcelain around the repair inside the vase.
The other vase, dose not have a yellow band, the repair must have been a long time ago because the dirt in the unglazed areas around the yellow band will not come out, so the writing in the Kaishu Style dates from 1861 through 1911, if these vases are from the dates shown I would be happy.
I would think early republic just because of the shape, what do you think?