Craquele Celadon

Started by Teunis van Eijk, Sep 30, 2015, 05:22:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis van Eijk

Hello again,

I read an old post of mine on a Hexagonal Celadon Hu vase and studied your comments.

I have a large Celadon Craquele Jar. It is very heavy compared to other porcelain. It is 30 cm high and I  estimate it to be 4 kgs.
With a sharp neadle you can feel the craquele and the bottom rim is very dense and a bit brownish. I have seen the same color bottom rim on a valuable craquele Hu vase.

Can you maybe put a date to this Jar? It has no marks.

Best regards,
Teunis van Eijk

Stan

Hi Teunis van eijk, I wonder if this could be Korean, they are the only ones that I no that make the mouth of the vase wider at the top and narrower at the bottom of the neck?

peterp

Exactly Stan. My first idea was that it looks Korean, especially the top. Some Korean wares are quite easy to recognize by their shape.

Teunis van Eijk

Hi There,

Okay, Something to put in mind again.
I think Chinese porcelain is the most difficult collectors item there is.

Best regards,
Teunis van Eijk

Stan

Hi Teunis, Korean porcelain has gone up in value, you should have it appraised by an expert, some of it can be just as valuable as Chinese porcelain.

Teunis van Eijk

Hi there,

I think the picture that I sent makes it look like the neck is much wider at the top but in fact it hardly is.
It measure only 4 milimeters difference. But still if the shape is not Chinese than indeed it could be Korean.
I will ask a guy that I know who is selling modern Korean vases.

You should all watch Sotheby's auction on the 11th of November. They have an auction of important chinese works of art.

Thanks again guys.
Regards,
Teunis

Stan

Please let us know what you find out, but you should use someone that is familiar with antique Korean porcelain, that way you learn something about antiques.

Teunis van Eijk

Oh yes I still need to learn a lot. At least 60 pct of what I have bought is fake.
I have a real Kanxi plate but  Chinese people show no interest in plates here in the Netherlands.

Regards,
Teunis

peterp

> Chinese people show no interest in plates here in the Netherlands.

That attitude is common everywhere. For them the hanging on the wall or placing on stands was utterly unknown. Generally they prefer standing objects like vases, jars, boxes, etc. Bowls and plates were made in large quantities and are less desirable as decorative objects. In the future this attitude may be shifting somewhat, perhaps, as they become more accepting for western style decorations.

Teunis van Eijk

Hi there,

Several chinese visitors said that this vase is chinese and an old piece.
A guy that is handling in Korean ware told me that it is not a korean vase.

Funny thing is that the chinese are not willing to buy it since there is a small piece missing on the rim.

Anything with a hairline, crack or fritting will loose interest as a collectors item.

Regards,
Teunis

peterp

I cannot deny the possibility that it is Chinese, but its shape is not a standard Chinese shape, and the neck is not Chinese looking either. I do not know enough about Korean porcelain, but I do know that most Chinese around me involved with antiques know next to nothing about Korean porcelain or any non-Chinese porcelain. This also includes porcelain exported in earlier times. Many just prefer to ignore anything of that sort if they can.    :-)

Stan

I sold a Japanese vase to a Chinese man that said it was Chinese, I could not tell him different, I told him that I had experts tell me Japanese but he bought it anyway thinking Chinese, it was a nice period vase anyway but the shape was clearly Japanese, It was a young man I sold it to that seemed knowledgeable about some things but on other things completely lacked experience.